Monday, November 29, 2010

Week 4 in Costa Rica

Week Four in Costa Rica was the last week of School for Children at San Ambrosio. Unlike them, I am very sad about this fact. The students only went to school for half days the entire week. There was a talent show on Tuesday were many students demonstrated their talents through a play or dance. I continued my lessons on Thanksgiving and the children wrote a letter to someone that they were thankful for. I had them write the letter in English on the front and in Spanish on the back(most of their parents do not speak English so I wanted them to be able to enjoy the letter as well). During the last week Lena spent a lot of time in the classroom making sure the students had everything together for their English books.This is a project she had been working on the entire year,so I tried to be any help to her that I could.Thursday was Thanksgiving back home in the States and I skyped with my entire family and answered many questions about Costa Rica. My Thanksgiving was not a traditional meal, but I wouldnt change it for the world. I had fish with a friend at a local resturant and listened to Spanish karaoke,how FUN! On Friday, the last day of school, we had a mass service at 8:00 am. This was a very interesting experience for me because I didn´t understand the Catholic service that was in Spanish, but it full of life and I could feel the Holy Spirit all around me. After the service the the students went their seperate ways with their teachers. I think the older children went to a local swimming pool, but the primary students went back to school to have a fiesta! Lena and I bought the children a cake that said "We love you" and we shared it between first and second grade. I hugged every child and told them how much I would love and miss them and I couldnt refrain from crying. On the last day of school Lena also helped me translate to Madre Lupita and the other nuns how grateful I was for my experience at their school and how much it had changed my life forever. I spent the weekend at Nasara where I gazed at the  breath taking stars at night and let the smell of the ocean take my breath away during the day. I returned to Nicoya and will go to Lena´s going away fiesta this afternoon at ther house. Lena has been so helpful here with translating and just being a friend. We will leave on Wenesday morning for San Jose together and then I will begin my journey on Thursday morning alone through Costa Rica:) Wish me LUCK & hope that I won´t miss any buses!

I love and miss you,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment