Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pura Vida-Week Two

During Week Two at school we spent most of the beginning days putting together the odds and ends for the English Multicultural Day on Wednesday. I made the brochure with the help of Karla for details about the program. The slogan for the English celebration was ¨Say Hello to the World¨. Thank God for the internet because when Karla ask me to make something up...I drew a blank. Anyway, the English Multicultral day was a day for the children to demonstrate their English skills and to emphasize the importance of learning English. The kinders sang the ABC song and children in first-sixth grade perfomed a skit to Eric Carl´s ¨The Very Hungry Caterpillar¨. Ninth Grade sang ¨Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. This was a very sentimental moment for me because this particular song always makes me think of my father. He has a way of always letting me know he is watching over me..kind of like on the day of my senoir prom(an important day to most girls) when I heard Sweet Child of Mine in the car and cried the entire time. I may not see him,  hear him, or feel him, but I know that he is always with me! The highschoolers put on a play about the importance of learning English as a second language in todays society. They did an amazing job and i was so happy to be a part of their special day.

Thursday I was invited by Madre Lupita to attend the sixth grade ¨Retiro¨. This day was such a blessing to me. I loved the culture and the bond that i saw between the students. A ¨Retiro¨ is much like an end of the year get together, but unlike public schools in the states... They celebrated their love for Jesus that day as well. ¨Hacerlo con amor para Jesus!¨Do it with love for Jesus. The Retiro was full of events so I will only highlight the things that really touched my heart.
Lena and Madre Lupita were talking about a sketch of Jesus on our prayer and Lena commented on how handsome Jesus was and Madre Lupita said Öh, Lena..Jesus was even more handsome than that¨. I was so overwhelemed by the Nuns love for Jesus and it was just an amazing thought to soak in for awhile. Imagine how handsome Jesus really was..What the savior in flesh really looked like. At the end of the Reiro they all made a compromise to Jesus. The entire day was in Spanish so Lena had to translate when I didnt understand. I said my compromise to Jesus in English because many of the students understand English, it is just hard for them to put their thoughts into words. The chlildren, teachers, and Madre Lupitia also joined hands and passed a wish along to the next person. I couldnt help but cry when Maria Jose looked at me and in perfect English said ¨Teacher Ashley, I wish for you the happiest time in Costa Rica and the best for your life.¨ Finally at the end of the day before they were picked up by their parents, the children read a letter that their parents wrote to them. Many of the students cried because the letters were filled with love and encouragement towards their children. I also could not hold back the tears. It is so nice to feel the love in the Latin culture and this even also made me miss my mother & family. I am so greatful that I was raised in a house where feeling loved was never questionable. I know that I am loved and supported 100% by many family members and friends. Thank you for being apart of my life & sharing your love with me.

Friday was an exciting day around Nicoya because of the annual Pica De Leña. This festival was amazing and rich in culture. Pica De Leña is a festival where they chop wood. The young adults go out Friday night(all night) dancing and partying(Have I told you that it is one big party here in Costa Rica). then at 3am Saturaday morning the town has a breakfast and the wood chopping begins! Men(I actually only saw one woman) chop wood all day long and then they gather downtown for the parade around lunch time. After the parade My host mother and my neighbors went to Playa Nosara(Nosara beach). The beach was breathtaking & so were some of the local surfers:) hahah. Dianada and I swam in the ocean for what seemed to be forever and then I finally settled down on a beach towel and read a book. After we left the beach we ate at Cafe de Paris-It was delicious! I hope to travel back to this beach to take surf lessons very soon!
On Sunday Karla and I went to Playa Samara again and I laid on the beach reading a book. I also forgot to wear sunblock! This was not a very bright idea and I woke up Monday morning with sunburn..OUCH! The sun plays no games here.I will post pictures tomorrow when I got to the internet cafe.


Paz y amor
Peace and love
Ashley!

On another note-I found out through my mother the recent news on Zahra Baker. I just want to say a little prayer for her. I know that she is in such a better place and may she forever rest in peace!
Happy Birthday Zahra!!!! Jesus said: "Suffer not
the little children for such is the kingdom of Heaven."

No comments:

Post a Comment