Monday, November 8, 2010

Costa Rica Week One

As some of you may know, my first scheduled flight to Costa Rica was canceled putting me in a panic frantically tring to figure out what to do next as I fly out of the country for the first time..all ALONE. Thanks to the gracious airline folks who did all the work for me and making me realize that i shouldn´t worry so much because it will all workout. I arrived in Nicoya around 8pm which meant that the picnic on the beach Karla had planned did not happen. We ate at a local chinese resturant for dinner in downtown Nicoya. Somehow everytime I eat at a chinese resturant and im REALLY craving fried wontons (with sour cream) I always manage to get the kind with the meat in them. Maybe I should be more specific next time, which is what I always say...


I slept very well my first night in Nicoya. I was exhausted physically and mentally from waiting in the airport from 5am until 1pm to catch a flight. Ok-I will stop complaining about that issue. When I woke up on Monday morning I was suprised to get straight up and in the shower around 5:30. School in Costa Rica starts at 7:00 am unlike schools in America that start at 8:00am. I fell in love with Costa Rica in the morning light as we drove to school. Everything in my vision was green, or brown, but you know I´m a dirt worshipper so I dont mind that one bit. When I arrived at San Ambrosio a few things caught my eye. The school is surrounded by a gate which has bob wire at the top. The soda (cafeteria) is outside and the classrooms have no electronics..they are simply classrooms with the doors flung open to feel the cool breeze. The children also have 5 minute breaks between classes to eat food or ya know..play soccer outside(they really do, its AWESOME). I am so happy that I chose to come here, but on my first day I learned that it would not be as easy as I had assumed. The language barrier is very difficult and most younger students do not understand anything that I say or vice versa. I hope that I can learn Spanish quickly so that I can communicate with the children as much as possible. I am working with preK-5th grade. Yes, that means I am teaching English to seven different classes during the day. The children were very excited to meet me on my first day and I received many hugs(which you know that I loved)!!! I also heard TEACHER!!! a lot. In Costa Rica teachers are not called by their last name..they are simply called teacher and the kids yell it at the top of their lungs. I am very excited to face my new challenge with boldiness and love combined. I believe that I have a lot to offer the students and know they have the same in return. After my first day of school I had a three hour salsa lesson. Needless to say, I slept very well on my second night too. Tuesday and Wednesday were very similar to day one at school because I was trying to learn the schedule and the routine of the classes. I taught second grade all alone and it was very difficult because their classroom management is non exsistent. Did I mention it is the end of their school year and their minds are more focused on their vacation time, but I don´t blame them. I remember what it was like to be a child in school. Oh, wait! I´m still the child who gets excited about vacation and can´t pay attention. As I was enjoying my coffee with Karla on Thursday morning we heard the principal  telling the students something. Karla then translated and told me that classes were canceled due to the emergency that happened in San Jose. Their was a mudslide Thursday morning from all the rain and many people were missing. School was also canceled on Friday and the death toll was around 23.You may find more information on this event on Google if you would like more details. Since the bridges were closed to the beaches Karla and I did things in town on Thursday & Friday. I also went to town with my new German friend Lena and met some of her friends who are all fluent in Spanish.

On Saturday I got a little emotional. I was locked out of my house and my host mom was on her way to San Jose. I started crying because I didn´t know what in the world to do! So I went to the neighbors house to use the telephone(he probably thinks I am a crazy American girl) because I was trying to speak Spanish to him while wheeping. lol He did not understand me and only spoke Spanish,  but he politely invited me into his home where I met his wife and son. Ricardo, Karlas friend, came to my rescue and made a copy of the correct key because Karla accidently left me the wrong one. I stayed in the house for the rest of the evening watching TV with Spanish subtitles trying to pick up on words. Saturday night I went out on the town with Lena while my host Mom was in San Jose at a Alejandro Sanz concert. Sunday morning Ricardo and his two daughters, Valeria and Gabreilla, invited me to their beach house where their nanny Rosie cooked an amazing pasta dish and we enjoyed a peaceful day at Playa Samara. Karla and Silvia joined us at the beach when they returned from their concert. Overall my week was amazing and I can´t wait to see what the future holds. I love and miss my family dearly, but I know this experience will be one for the books. How I mentioned how great God is???!!!????!!! Please continue to pray for me througout my journey.

3 comments:

  1. ashlee!!! this is awesome!!! im so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED reading your blog....can't wait to read about what is going on in Costa Rica this week!! Praying for you!
    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds amazing! So glad you got to go stay in their beach house at Samara! Ah! I love that you're having a good time.. and I saw on your pics that you had some Imperial.. kinda like Coors huh?! Did you see any locals drink it over ice?! haha I liked the Imperial that was darker.. I don't remember the name of it, but it's muy bueno :) Tell Valeria & Gabriela that I said hello!!

    dani

    ReplyDelete